Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Review: The Forever Song (Blood of Eden #3) by Julie Kagawa

Thanks to Harlequin Teen and Netgalley for allowing me to read an e-galley of this final book in an awesome series.  I must start out by saying that once again I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the series has been ended.  So many trilogies where I just loved the first book disappointed me in either the 2nd book, or the last one.  I won't name names, you've seen my reviews if you've followed me.   But this was a great finale.

We start the book out with Allison and her sire, Kanin, and her brother, Jackal.  They are on their way to find Sarren and kill him, as well as stop his evil plans to release a modified virus on the world that will kill all living things, not just humans, not just the rabids, but vampires as well.  Sarren is just that crazy.  Allison is in a bad state.  We all know what happened with Zeke at the end of the last book.  And she is ready to give in to the monster inside her.  To get over her last bit of humanity, the things that Kanin tried to take the time with her to teach her.  Jackal of course is happy about that.  He wants her to become more like him.  But we continue to see that Jackal has softened a bit maybe, at least where his family is involved.  Sarren is leaving horrible displays along the way, knowing that they are following him.  Bodies hanging in barns, ripped apart.  Messages that hit right in Allison's heart, about her human family, including Zeke.  And when one of them shows up, left there to really get at Allison, let me say I was so upset!  Wanted to cry!  They really have to catch Sarren before he reaches Eden and unleashes the virus.

I won't go on about the story.  Just know that the way the whole outbreak, as well as the problem with Sarren himself, is solved is really creative in my opinion.  I love how it happens.  I love the things Allison learns about herself and about her family.  I love that things aren't all just humans love vampires at the end, that it is still a very tentative situation of trust.  Great characters, even the banter between Jackal and Allison is fun to read.  I loved this story.  Can't believe that when I met the author, Julie Kagawa, I hadn't ready any of her books, so couldn't go all fan girl on her, like I would if I got the chance to meet her again.  On a side note, it's kind of fitting that I finally got my orders of the first two books in at the high school library where I work.  I can't wait to share them with the students, and will probably have to go buy the 3rd one myself since I'm out of money through the school district.