Thursday, July 14, 2011

You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs by Laurie Graff

You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs (Red Dress Ink)You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs by Laurie Graff

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This was my latest book to keep by the big bathtub for reading while taking a bubble bath. It had some really hilarious moments. I also at first was unsure as I started reading whether it was supposed to be a memoir or was just fiction. I'm guessing from reading the "about author" part that it is based on some real stories from her life. The guys that she dates, well, some of them are just unbelievable in the way they act. The main character is Jewish, and so I enjoyed reading about the types of issues that Jewish women have when dating. In fact, the end of the book really touches on this with something called the Shiksa complex. This is where Jewish men want to find non-Jewish women to date and take home, and then when they get married, these women convert to being Jewish. There is one part where the main character even pretends to not be Jewish just to get a Jewish guy. Only at a Jewish holiday, she finally can't hold it in anymore and lets out her secret. The guy gets all upset and even says he had been going to ask her to marry him that night, but now he can't. And what's weird is that he doesn't say it's because he can't trust her for lying, it's because he doesn't want to marry a Jewish girl! It's crazy. Then she dates a guy who can't make up his mind. So annoying. But what's kind of worse is that she keeps getting in and out of a relationship with him! I could see keeping him around as a friend with benefits, but I could never let someone that annoying keep getting in and messing with my head like she seemed to do.



Karrie Kline is her name, and as an actress she moves out to LA at one point in the book. Here we get to see what dating is like out there. Again, there are some crazy men. We do get a little bit of information about her family. Like she never knew her real father because he supposedly ran away to be a clown, literally. And we do meet him in LA. At the end she gets a dog, and I loved that part. It is true that they give you unconditional love. But I disagree with her in that she is okay waiting for someone because she now has this love. I've had my dog for over 12 years now, and I still want to find a boyfriend. It's a different type of love. So the ending was a bit disappointing.



View all my reviews