Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Hazards of Working at a Bookstore Vol. 3.0

I see all the Waiting on Wednesday posts of the people I follow and realize that at some point I need to get back to doing that one. Not sure what I'm waiting on though, that I haven't already talked about at some time in the past. Maybe next week I can come up with something. So, I will post about 3 books I saw yesterday while working at the store.
First is Forgiven by Janet Fox. From what I see online this is a 2nd part of a series. The first in the series is called Faithful I believe, but I don't know exactly what it's about. However this story sounds interesting to me. I'm guessing it will be set during the time of the great San Francisco earthquake, but not sure. Basically the main character is Kula who has just moved here from Montana, I assume that is where the first book took place. She has come here to save her father, and somehow gets swept up in the upper society in San Francisco through the art world. There is a handsome David Wong, who with his charming ways threatens to break through her reservedness. It says that when disaster strikes, she must learn to unlock her heart. I'm guessing the disaster is the earthquake, and so I'm intrigued in this as a historical type fiction.


Second is more of a humor type book called How to Live Safely in a Science-Fictional Universe by Charles Wu. This goes along with the other How to survive a zombie apocalypse type books I think, except I assume it covers kind of all of the different situations. Except, this is a story. The main character is Charles Wu, and he is a time travel technician. He has to save people who try to do the one thing they should never do, travel into the past. His father is the inventor of time travel who then disappeared. So Charles is trying to find his father, and with a book given to him by his future self, same title as this book, he thinks he might find his father.




Third is Zombie High Yearbook '64 by Jeff Busch. This isn't really a book to read, more of a book to look at the pictures and laugh. Not sure how funny compared to Cake Wrecks or Awkward Family Photos it will be. But I thought it was interesting and tied in to all the new zombie related books and novels around. Basically it is a tribute to yearbooks from those days, and it ties in zombie stuff with civil rights movement, and other things in the time period. Sounds like a fun look through for people who enjoy zombies.