Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Hazards of Working at a Bookstore Vol. 2.6

Didn't see a lot that was new while working all day yesterday, but I have a couple, plus one that I've picked up several times and need to mark it as to read for sure.


First is a teen book called Unidentified by Rae Mariz. Reading the back of this I think I've heard about it somewhere. I don't know if I've posted it already, or heard about it in Shelf Awareness, or requested it on Netgalley, but it sounds right up my alley, so I'm adding it to my TBR list. In this dystopian novel, the Corporation sponsors school, which means they can monitor any and everything the students do. A group called the Unidentified start causing problems, and the main character, her name is Kid, really, begins to realize that her ideas, her life, nothing are hers, the Corporation can take anything. So she joins the group to fight back.



Second is an adult fiction novel called The Childrens Book by A.S. Byatt. This book goes from the Victorian era up to World War I. A runaway is discovered by an author's oldest son, and he is brought to their home to live with this exciting family. The author writes private books for each of her children, but they are dark and contain secrets that give away the lies that have been told. The premise sounds good, but sometimes these books aren't always what you expect from the jacket.






Finally is The Periodic Table by Primo Levi. This is a book on the holocaust. This book is a memoir of the author's life up to and after his transportation to Auschwitz as a Jew. The title, I would guess comes from the fact that the author was a student in chemistry where he came from. It is supposed to be a story about a family and their struggle to survive.