Saturday, March 20, 2010

Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub


Well, I struggled through this book at first. We start out from the viewpoint of a bird, and it kind of stays like that for what I feel is too long a time. I always wonder how does more than one person write a book. In this case, I almost wonder if the parts that I enjoyed and got into were actually the parts written by Stephen King, and the parts that dragged and bored me written by Peter Straub. No offense to Straub, but I am a big King fan, and have rarely if ever had one of his books I couldn't get into. I went ahead and read this, even though it is kind of a sequal to a book I hadn't read, called The Talisman, by these same authors. A friend from the bookstore, Chad, told me I would be okay and not lost. I don't remember him telling me though that it related to King's Gunslinger series. I do have to say that I am not a huge fan of the Gunslinger series. I did have trouble reading those. I have the last 3? that he wrote sitting on my "to-read" shelf, and I haven't yet felt the impulse or interest to pick them up.


So was this a good book? Yeah, the story was good once you got into it. But it doesn't really make me want to go back and read the book before it, or continue in the Gunslinger series. So who knows.